Walkers from all over Ireland are taking part in the annual nine-day Walk to Knock to raise money for chronically hungry children in South Sudan and other countries where global hunger charity, Mary’s Meals provides school feeding programmes.
Five groups walking under the banner ‘Step By Step To Feed The Next Child’, will set out from Armagh, Dublin, Clare, Kilkenny and Malin in Co. Donegal on Monday, August 7 and are expected to arrive in Knock on Wednesday, August 15.
The Ireland-wide walking event is now in its sixth year. Fr Eamonn Kelly, chairman of Mary’s Meals Ireland said: “So far, we’ve had nothing but kindness and interest in what we are doing. We are walking together step by step to feed the next hungry child. That is our main aim, to help feed the next chronically hungry child. People are encouraged to join the walks even for one hour or one day and to help with the collections along the way,” said Fr Eamonn.
The walk to Knock coincides with the launch of Mary’s Meals campaign for South Sudan in response to the worsening crisis in the war-torn country.
David Rose, Executive Director of Mary’s Meals Ireland, said: “Today, our work is more vital than ever. Across East Africa, drought and conflict have created a humanitarian crisis spanning several countries where we serve Mary’s Meals – especially in South Sudan.”