Two parishes walking side by side in Tyrone

Two parishes walking side by side in Tyrone A picture of the attendees at the walk. Photo: Diocese of Derry

In Barons Court Estate, Newtownstewart Parish (Derry Diocese) embarked on a fund-raising walk on May 12 with the purpose of restoring historic buildings (churches included), as part of its ‘heritage programme’.

The Catholic parish and the Church of Ireland parish, sharing St Eugene as their patron, undertook this joint venture. The participating clergy were Fr Roland Colhoun and Rev Ivan Dinsmore.

Robert Scott, retired land steward of Barons Court, gave an exposition of the history of the estate, which was imparted over two hours and spanning four miles of delightful scenery. “Even the onset of rain and the rumbles of thunder in the final quarter-hour did not dampen the spirits of almost sixty participants”, who visited areas such as Derrywoon Castle (Doire Eoghain, ‘oak-wood of Eugene’), built on the early 1600s.

The Two-Parishes Walk raised £1025 (€1192) The proceeds were divided equally between the two parishes, St Eugene’s Church of Ireland on Main Street and St Eugene’s Catholic Church at Glenock.