Appeal made for Mozambique cyclone victims

Appeal made for Mozambique cyclone victims The damage wreaked by Cyclone Kenneth in Mozambique recently

Catholic Relief Services is appealing for additional aid after Cyclone Kenneth struck northern Mozambique late last month, the second such storm to hit the country in recent months.

“Entire villages have been flattened. Roads have been washed out. And bridges have been destroyed,” Erica Dahl-Bredine, CRS’ country representative of Lesotho and Mozambique, said on April 30. “We’re just beginning to fully understand the extent of the damage. In fact, the number of people who have been impacted by this storm continues to climb.”

Cyclone Kenneth struck northeastern Mozambique on April 25, killing 38 people. It destroyed 35,000 homes and left homeless tens of thousands. Cyclone Idai had hit the country’s south in March, killing at least 900.

“The local Church is doing an incredible job of helping the people of Mozambique in both regions and has mobilised an enormous army of volunteers to assist in these dual relief efforts,” Dahl-Bredine commented.

Support

“Additional support will be needed from the international community before more people lose their lives.”

Landslides have destroyed numerous roads, making it difficult for humanitarian groups to access vulnerable areas, and a lack of resources and immediate aid is a concern, according to CRS.

Catholic Relief Services said there are more than 168,000 people in urgent need of help. Mozambique is one of the poorest African countries, with 65% below the poverty line.

Share This Post